Every year, January 1st marks the attempted start of a new lifestyle for countless people. They’re going to stop eating anything that contains, looks like, or has been near sugar. They’re going to go to CrossFit workouts three times a day. They’re going to read at least one book per week. As you know (and have likely experienced yourself) these resolutions rarely stick.
You may not be able to make a complete and total lifestyle change, but you can certainly make yourself more productive. Focus on revolutionizing your morning routine, and you’ll be amazed at what you can get done in a day. Here are some ways to make the most of your mornings:
1. A good morning starts the night before. Prepare for the next day so that you don’t have to scramble to find things right after you wake up. Pick out your outfit, go over notes for tomorrow’s big presentation, and pack your lunch. If you know that everything is ready to go, your morning will be far less stressful.
2. Start the day off with some exercise. We know, we know. This sounds like one of those resolutions that never work, but we promise it doesn’t have to be that hard. You don’t have to go to a hardcore cycling class. It can be as simple as stretching or going for a short walk. Studies show that mild to moderate exercise can boost your mood all day and aid in relieving stress.
3. Make your showers productive. Showering is something you have to do, so you might as well learn something while you do it. Put on podcasts to get your daily dose of inspiration. Or just let your mind wander. Some of your best and most creative ideas might come to you if you aren’t thinking about everything you have to get done that day.
4. Don’t check your email until you get to the office. There’s nothing worse than waking up to your alarm and then immediately looking at an inbox filled with tasks you need to do and problems you need to take care of. You won’t be able to handle any situations until you’re at work anyway, so don’t add unnecessary stress by fretting over emails.
5. Have a good breakfast. You know it’s the most important meal of the day, but how often do you actually eat it? It certainly doesn’t have to be elaborate, but make sure you have something nutritious and reasonably delicious to eat in the morning. If you’re crunched for time, pack it the night before and eat it once you get to the office.